KAN + Kenji: Feeding America
We’re finally launching our complete KAN Core line. With the help of your pre-orders, we are teaming with J. Kenji López-Alt to donate to FeedingAmerica.org. Instead of a crowdfunding platform, we’re doing a crowdfeeding campaign!
Knives introduction and pre-order details:
Pre-order Launch Details
- Kenji is not being paid for this endorsement.
- To purchase Kenji’s autographed book(s), add them to a knife bundle
- All knife purchases are pre-orders and will ship when manufactured
- 5% will be donated to Feeding America for 30 days (thru Oct. 9)
- Knives purchased in bundles have the steepest discounts
- All knives (besides steak knife sets) come individually boxed
- Estimated to ship before Christmas, if you order soon
- Great for Christmas gifts!
It’s a great looking knife. Perfectly balanced blade and handle, and nice and sharp even out of the box. It’s a dreamy knife. If you’re in the market for a really great, high-end knife, this is the one to go with.
KAN: /kän/perception; intuition; the sixth sense (Japanese)
Introducing: KAN Core Chef Knife
The KAN Core chef knife is all about blade and balance;
the beauty is just a bonus.
We set out to create our favorite chef knife, at a reasonable price. We started at the core. When you build a knife that needs to take a very sharp edge, then hold it for a long time, the obvious choice is VG-10 Japanese super steel.
VG-10 is a very hard high-carbon steel that can take an angle as acute as 15 degrees and still hold it for a very long time. Our steel is imported from Takefu, Japan, and the hardness is between approximately 60 HRC.
This is the sweet spot for having a razor-sharp blade without needing to sharpen very often, and you won’t have a difficult time restoring the original edge when you do.
We balance our knives just behind the pinch point for a comfortable blade grip. We advise against a handle grip with our chef knife as it can be unwieldy and even dangerous, as the blade can flop to one side or the other. Using a pinch grip allows for more precision and control.
Our 200mm (~8-inch) chef knife weighs just over 8 oz, so you won’t get the hand fatigue that comes with bulky German knives, even after myriad strokes. You will have enough weight, however, to avoid working so hard to get through tougher foods.
The KAN Core series features a 67-layer damascus steel blade, with 66 stainless steel layers clad about the VG-10 core. We offer both a hammered and non-hammered finish. Both show off the beautiful damascus wood grain-like patterns.
We offer two handles: ebony wood and G10. G10 is a glass-based epoxy resin laminate. Though we never condone soaking our knives, G10 will never absorb water, and will last through the ages. Ebony is an extremely hard and beautiful wood, and you won’t go wrong with either choice.
We are so excited to have launched our KAN Core series. We’re so excited to get one into your hands.
With our recent launch, we are so grateful for all the support from our backers. We can’t wait to hear what you think of the new knives. You can post on and follow our updates on our Facebook page.
Will you offer other knives/sizes?
We just launched pre-orders of our full set of knives. Shop now to take advantage of our early bird discounts.
What are the specs for the KAN Core chef knife?
- Weight: 8.4 ounces
- Blade length: 200mm (7.9inches)
- Core composition: Japanese VG-10 high carbon steel
- Core hardness: Approximately 60HRC
- 66 Damascus layers, stainless steel cladding
- Finish: hammered or non-hammered
- Edge angle: 15° double-bevel (30° total)
- Handle: Ebony wood (dark brown) or G10 (black)